Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Memo to Obama: The NHS Does Work!

Unfortunately, we had the opportunity to test the National Health Service today. Robert was up half the night complaining about his ear hurting ("put water on it" he kept imploring). Since we are veterans at this, I knew we had to have an antibiotic ASAP. I called the NHS surgery near us at 8:30, got through immediately, made an appointment for 9:50, waited about 15 minutes, saw the fantastic doctor who was impressed that given how bad the infection was that Robert hadn't complained before today, got a prescription for amoxicillin, and left the office. On the way out, well, we just walked out! No exit paperwork (well, no bills), so that's that. We walked one block down the hill to the Boots chemists, gave him the prescription (free of course since Robert is 5 or less), and by 10:45 we had medication in hand and in the boy. I honestly cannot say it has ever worked like that for me in the states. Plus the medicine tastes like bananas, so he's a happy guy.

This past weekend, we went to Arundel where my Sussex sponsor lives and toured the famous castle there. http://www.arundelcastle.org/_pages/03_visitor_info.htm shows pictures and tells the story of the Dukes of Norfolk. And Queen Victoria stayed there for two days once in the 1840s and you would think this was as important as making peace in the world. Anyway, the other nifty thing is that the family actually lives there and the Castle is only open until November 1, so we are glad to have seen it now. Here's to healthy ears and more touring!

3 comments:

Janine said...

Wow, that sounds terrific. I did have a similar experience in Poland. My doctor there seemed cheerful and competent, which sounds the same as your situation. Get well soon to Robert! And hurray for Eleanor in football! (what do they say in England for hurray?)

brotherjay said...

Hey sis and family,

I am sorry to hear about Robert, I hope he is feeling better. It sounds like you are taking in the sights.
i hope you are winning them over like you do, the presidential race is nuts so far. One guy throws hate and the other one is long winded.
The one we have now is just stupid, Susan and I will be home on Monday night around 4 our time, so if you want us to cal you let me know.
Please give hugs and kisses to all, tel Glenn to give you one from us.

Love Susan, Charlie and ME.

Unknown said...

Hey Robin
I'm so proud of you! Way to go, Fulbright Scholar! Believe it or not, I'm still here in Miami, and I'm now a full-time teacher at Miami Springs Senior High (AP & Gifted English) while moonlighting at "Notre Dade". After two failed marriages, I'm now living with a wonderful woman (Yvette) and our obnoxious cat, Penelope.
Big Hugs
Dear Ing